Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Sheer Kurma

This is a nice cool dessert. My Pakistani husband introduced me to it and when I first heard that it was vermicelli in milk and was sweet I didn't know if I wanted to try it. Now I'm happy that I did give it a whirl. This is something that is popular during the month of Ramadan.

Sheer Kurma

2 cups broken vermicelli*
2 Tbsp. butter
5 cups (32 oz) whole milk
½ cup sugar
Rose water
1 tsp. crushed cardamom--open green pods and remove black seeds, crush
Slivered almonds

Melt butter in large pan over med.-high heat and lightly brown vermicelli. Pour in milk and add sugar and cardamom. Boil until thickened. Add rose water and nuts. You can also add raisins if wanted.

I'll try to post a pic the next time I make this dish.




This is the kind of vermicelli I use, it can be found in halal markets and in Indian grocery stores. This is much thinner than the vermicelli found in supermarkets in the US.

No comments: